Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Maybe a little early, but a letter.

My dearest babybee,

Today, you have been in my tummy for 9 weeks. In those 9 weeks, many things (not all of the exciting nature) have happened. I've been to Mexico, you've grown a liver and other vital organs, I've slept and complained a lot, and we both ventured to the Twins home opener last night. I'm sorry to report that they lost, but this shall not shape the season to come. I've gotten off track.

The reason for this letter is to tell you that something sad happened last night. Your Great Grandmother passed away. It saddens me to no end that she never got to meet you. More importantly, that you never got to met her. She was a hell of a woman (pardon my french, dear babybee, but she must be described in this manner) and made me who I am today because of it. She toughed through 5 years of ovarian cancer when they only gave her 2. And she smoked and drank her way through it! She was not about to let anyone or anything tell her what to do. She lived her life the way she wanted to, and for that I have the utmost respect for her.

Even though you're not aware of her existence right now, she knew about you. Just a couple weeks ago, she saw your very first picture, and she was so excited for you to be here. I know that she would have spoiled you rotten the way she spoiled me. And she would have loved you very very much.

Alright, momma has to stop right this now, since she is at work, at her desk, in a room full of people, and is about to cry.

Your daddy and I love you very much. Thank you for being with me, with us, to be the light in our lives in this dark time.

Momma

PS - Thank you for helping my body feel good for the second day in a week. I don't know how you knew I needed it today, but I did. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

4 comments:

  1. awww! I am sorry to hear about your grandma. I know she was special to you. Just think that right now she is looking over you and your baybee with great joy of all that you have accomplished. She will be there on the kids first day of school and the day s/he gets married and for their first child. Take peace knowing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eyes welling up! Eyes welling up!

    I will miss her too. :( And I agree with the chick above me, she is definitely still with you. And I'm sure you'll see her in some respect again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss! :'(

    My grandfather (I was mostly raised by my grandparents, they are very important to me) passed away in February, and as I was in his hospital room a few hours before he died, i poked him and tried to say without crying "You can't die, you haven't even met my baby yet, yet" (or something like that) my grandma looked up and said "are you pregnant?" I (honestly) said no.. but it was just a couple weeks later that I found out that I am. I'm so sad that they will never get to meet, but i am SO grateful to have baby during such a loss. And if it is a boy, his middle name (grandpa's first name) will remind me of him for always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry for the loss of your Grandmother, she sounds like she was quite the character. Kudos to her for doing what she wanted and not letting anyone tell her what to do.

    On a brighter note...Congratulations on your pregnancy! :)

    ReplyDelete