Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Avocado episode, part II.

I ended up calling the nurses again yesterday about my pain, and they had me come in.

Before the midwife made his decision as to what was ailing me, he heard my complaints and aches and whatnot, then had me lay down so he could measure me and hear the baby - the old ute is 29cm long (grew by 5cm from a month ago) and he was BAFFLED at how short waisted I am. He said I have less than a foot between my hip and the bottom of my ribcage. (That's not normal?) if I'm not already having aches in my ribs and back, they'll be starting soon because there's no where else for the baby to go. Great. Thanks mom! Just kidding. I know you didn't choose this short-waisted-ness either. Do we blame my grandmother?

Anyway, he said in the end he thinks that it IS my gallbladder being a jerk, but doesn't suspect stones or anything, just acting up with higher fat intake, less space to function and good old hormones throwing off the delicate balance of my organs. He said I just need to officially change my diet and cut out all high fat (or relatively fatty) foods. He wasn't too concerned with the itching (my feet and hands were kind of itchy over the weekend), but said if it's more constant and consistent that I should call in. (See the concern about itchiness of hands and feet here.) But he's pretty secure in the thought that with a lower fat diet that I should be feeling better in no time.

The state fair starts next Thursday. So much for everything on a stick! (He said I can have a pickle on a stick, but what I really want is deep fried pickle slices dipped in ranch dressing. Nom nom nom.)

So, after all that, I ended up getting my Rhogam shot so I don't have to go back in again tomorrow.

I'm hurting again today...just in that spot under my ribs, but dealing. It just sucks...and watching what I eat is REALLY going to suck. Not to sound like "that girl" - but I've never had to watch what I eat. Reading labels is very foreign to me. Although, I discovered that the donuts I bought at the grocery on Sunday may have been hurting me - 55% of daily value of SATURATED FAT in EACH ONE. Ooops. I suppose I could cut those out.

(look at that frosted goodness)

But seriously? Entenmann's chocolate devil's food cake donuts?! They are SO GOOD...eating one is almost worth the pain. Almost.

This is what I found on a website of what to avoid when you have gallbladder issues. It's laughable.

Eggs, pork, onion, fowl, milk, coffee, oranges, grapefruit, corn, beans, nuts, in that order.
Trans fats
Hydrogenated, partially-hydrogenated oils
Margarine
Fried Foods
Saturated fats(even coconut oil until feeling better)
Red meats
Dairy products
Eggs
Coffee, regular or decaf
Chocolate
Ice cream
Black tea
Alcohol, beer, wine, liqueur
Fruit juice
Carbonated water
Tap water
Raddishes and turnips
Cabbage, cauliflower
Colas and all sodas
Oats (for some people)
Wheat
Barley
Rye (although the sour German ryes seem to be less troublesome)
All legumes (beans) as they tend to increase the cholesterol in the bile.
Avoid all artificial sweeteners, sugar, preservatives, refined and bleached foods (like white flour)

So, I can't drink water, juice, milk, tea, coffee or soda. That leaves....what? This list is ridic.

WebMD's article makes more sense. Maybe I'll pay attention to that one instead.

1 comment: